Sunday, November 13, 2011

Time is Money


The more time we spend at work, the more money we make. If we can hit overtime, then the dollars really start to add up! It seems like a No-brainer, More time More money. But is it what we really want?

I often find myself equating items I purchase against my time. "Do I want to spend 3 hours working for this pair of jeans, or could I get by with these other jeans that only cost 1 hour of work?" or "I can take my family to see this new release movie for 4 hours of work, or I can go see the dollar movie for just 1/2 hour of work".
This type of thinking began entering my mind while I was working at a Mink farm skinning mink. I guarantee* that when you realize that large shake is the equivalent of over 1/2 hour in the hottest, smelliest, nastiest place you have ever stepped foot.. YOU DON'T WANT IT!! When you know a tank of gasoline is going to take a full day in that misserable place, you choose to walk to the store to buy your mountain dew (that you have to drink to get rid of the head ache the mink have caused-Which costs another 10 min of minking to pay for the Dew)
In addition to realizing every thing you buy costs time at work, it also means it costs time FROM family. Now my large shake is 1/2 hour of mink, and a 1/2 hour of missed family. That equals 1 hour of pure Hell to buy a bit of Ice cream. NO THANK YOU!
We begin to cut out things we don't need when we realize what they actually cost. Whats the cost of cable TV? $70? Now our beloved TV costs us over a full days pay, and a full day away from the family! That's 2 days a month taken so we can watch some show about fat people loosing weight. Not in my house-We'll go camping instead!
By keeping our expenses down, we can keep down the need to be away from our family.




*100% MONEY BACK mink guarantee- If you do not believe in my "minking time cost equivalent", I am more than happy to set you up on a two week time trial. You come skin mink. At the end of 2 weeks, if you are not fully convinced, you are welcome to give me all you earned MONEY BACK and go on your way.

No comments:

Post a Comment